Introduction to Emerald
Emerald is a full-featured and user-friendly Content Management System (CMS) offered by Userful. Functions in Emerald can be divided into Content Management and Administration, but before diving in, it's encouraged to review some best practices.
If you do not yet have a login for Emerald, contact your Userful Account Manager.
After creating the Source (Cloud or On-Premise) and mapping a Display or Zone to it, you'll be prompted to pair the instance with the management portal.
Log in to the portal at emeraldsignage.userful.com to get started. Note that displays or zones mapped to Emerald should remain mapped, all content management is done in the Emerald interface thereafter.
It is recommended to follow these best practices when setting up Emerald for use by your organization.
- Folders are for grouping screens, files/assets, playlists, and schedules. There is a Create Folder button in each module. Folder grouping allows for a less cluttered view for easier navigation, and for role-based access control. Permissions for folders can be managed across individuals or teams. The recommended use case for Folders is to use them to separate content by geographical region.
- Tags are free-form text fields that you can use to label displays according to your preferences. More than one tag can be assigned to a Display. Examples include
- Locations within rooms: West wall, South pillar #2.
- Room types: Meeting, Office, Hallway.
- Department: HR, IT, Sales.
- Use case: OSHA signage, Visitor directions, Advertisement. The recommended use case for Tags is functional - for example a display in a storefront window may be tagged with sales, outside-facing, advertisement, front window.
- Teams separate content and displays into isolated groups, where users within that team can only see assets assigned to them. Users can be part of one or more teams, though will need to switch between teams in order to see all content. The recommended use case for Teams is to separate functional departments such as sales, support, marketing, etc.
- Roles define permissions given to a particular user, and govern content creation, approvals and administration. Emerald includes pre-made Roles:
- Admin: it has full access to the system.
- User: it manages screens and create, edit, delete any assets, playlists, or schedules. Users cannot see or change the billing subscription, or add, delete or modify other accounts.